PBS to Feature Educate & Elevate with Host & Actor Rob Lowe
Educate & Elevate has caught the attention of “The Success Files,” an award-winning program that highlights new stories and innovative concepts through groundbreaking short-form and long-form documentary presentations. The program airs on PBS and is hosted by actor Rob Lowe.
The Educate & Elevate campaign story will be featured in a short six-minute documentary, and plans are now in process to develop the storylines about the power and relevancy of adult education.
Utilizing strategic partnerships across numerous media distribution outlets, “The Success Files” continues to inspire audiences and stimulate conversations by tackling the most prevalent issues in the nation and across the world. Stay tuned for air dates.
Adult Education Miracle: Kevin Hunt Sr.
Champion of the Week: Alabama
ALAPCAE, the Alabama Association for Public Continuing and Adult Education, has a mission of promoting public awareness of the Alabama Adult Education program, to address the professional development needs of Alabama’s adult education practitioners, to recognize excellence of instructional services, and to provide scholarships to deserving GED® graduates throughout Alabama. The association is also a strong advocate in promoting the Educate & Elevate Campaign.
Follow their lead with these strategies that they have executed successfully:
- placing the Educate & Elevate logo on the association’s website homepage as a “proud partner”
- using its email distribution lists to announce its alignment with the Educate & Elevate Campaign
- submitting success stories and testimonials to populate and promote the great work in Alabama on its state-specific webpage
Want to follow Alabama’s lead and garner attention for the great work in your state? Use our Campaign Toolkit. The toolkit makes it easy for you to announce your partnership with the campaign via your website and social media accounts with a tailored press release and much more.
Story Musgrave Joins Educate & Elevate as Campaign Advocate
In the coming weeks, expect to hear more stories from leaders like Musgrave about the value of adult education as Educate & Elevate seeks to advocate for this vital resource. If you have an extraordinary example of someone who has used adult education as a catalyst, resulting in exceptional success, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Champion of the Week: Wisconsin Says Become a Literacy Advocate!
There are many ways that states can become a champion of the national Educate & Elevate Campaign. This week we recognize Wisconsin Literacy for its efforts to link to the national campaign by creating a landing page to educate its members with specific calls to action to support adult education.
Replicate Wisconsin’s efforts and use our toolkit to announce your partnership with the campaign via your website and social media accounts, a tailored press release and much more.
Noted below is the website content that Wisconsin Literacy used to announce its participation in the Educate & Elevate Campaign. How will you announce your statewide efforts?
This year, Wisconsin Literacy is joining the more than 55,000 adult literacy educators participating in COABE’s Educate and Elevate Campaign. Never underestimate the power of one voice to the right listener! Wisconsin Literacy, Inc. encourages its friends, members, and other stakeholders to raise their voices for the importance of supporting a more literate Wisconsin.
You can help by speaking to your local, state or federal elected officials and letting them know about your involvement with literacy. Whether you are a literacy tutor, student, program director, or just someone who believes literacy is a skill we must invest in more, you can have an impact! Share your literacy success stories!
If you want to know who your local or state representatives are and how to reach them, follow the links below and enter your address or zip code:
Educate & Elevate Expands Campaign Website for States
With about six weeks to go until our Capitol Hill visits, the Educate & Elevate campaign website has been expanded with state-specific pages to give state leaders an opportunity to showcase all of their great successes and innovations.
Click (here) to check out the new Locator Map and then select your state. You’ll see a section that houses state contacts, data, reports and innovations and successes. If you don’t see any innovations or success stories about adult learners and/or employers, then it’s time to use the links below to submit.
We’ll be pushing legislators to your state-specific pages to learn more about what you are doing, so make sure to submit now!
Educate & Elevate Champion Highlights
Did you know that cross promoting the Educate & Elevate campaign on your website can bring recognition to your organization? And, we’ve made it super easy for you to participate.
Take a look at the following Educate & Elevate Champions who have been very creative in their cross-promotional efforts by placing the Educate & Elevate logo on their websites in various locations as a “proud partner”; using #educate&elevate and sending updates via social media; special announcements; and sending eblasts to its members with updates.
- Alabama Association for Public Continuing and Adult Education
- Alaska Adult Education Association
- Arizona Association for Lifelong Learning
- California Council for Adult Education
- The Coalition of Lifelong Learning Organizations
- Connecticut Association for Adult and Continuing Education
- Joliet Junior College
- Kentucky Adult Education
- Louisiana Association for Public, Community and Adult Education
- Maine Adult Education Association
- Maryland Association for Adult, Community and Continuing Education
- Missouri Association for Adult Continuing and Community Education
- Pennsylvania Association of Adult Continuing Education
- Texas Association for Literacy and Adult Education
Webinar Wrap: Social Media Strategies
your social media program.
1. Engage with Your local press on Twitter – One of the most effective ways to build your following is by engaging with local reporters. Many reporters tweet from their own account, in addition to the official media account. Use the Twitter search box to search for “people” with the press outlet name in their account description.
2. Learn how to use the new Facebook Townhall function – This new option for nonprofit and public sector accounts lets you link posts directly to your federal, state or local legislator.
3. Use Links, Graphics, and Hashtags – Including hashtags, visuals, and links to news articles and other accounts shows a level of social media know-how that helps attract the notice of influencers on each channel.
4. Use time management tools for social media – Using scheduling tools, an editorial calendar and adding social media accounts to mobile devices can enable you to be more effective in less time.
5. Engage with legislators and their staffs on social media – In addition to official accounts, many legislators, and their staff members, volunteers and interns have personal accounts on Twitter. Many legislators also have several Facebook pages for different initiatives. Searching and following these additional accounts can raise your visibility with your legislative office.
Educate & Elevate Campaign: Hosting a Stakeholder Event
Did you miss our most recent webinar or want to watch it again? It’s now online and includes critical information you won’t want to miss on using special events to educate legislators and key stakeholders about adult education.
Our communications partner, Full Capacity Marketing, and guest presenter, Diane Jackson from the Queen Creek Unified School District Adult Education Program in Arizona, share step-by-step instructions, as well as strategies in an information-packed, one-hour session.
Here are the Top 5 highlights, along with links to everything you need in the Educate & Elevate Campaign Toolkit to host your own successful stakeholder event.
- Think Visual. Include a proclamation ceremony, set up information stations or conduct a tour or mini-class. Sharing about your program in a visual way makes events more memorable and newsworthy.
- Showcase your students. Schedule times for them to share their success stories, plan photo ops and introduce legislators and news media to your students.
- Showcase Employer Partners. Employers add credibility to your program. Invite them to speak about what your program has meant for their business.
- Promote, Promote, Promote – Use the Educate & Elevate Toolkit Media Advisory template to announce your event. Use the toolkit fact sheets, legislator talking points, posters and postcards to promote your event.
- Employ cause marketing, a growing opportunity for nonprofits and public sector organizations to partner with local companies on events. In this webinar, we show you how to create a cause-marketing partnership, and we walk through several powerful case studies.
Harnessing the Power of Data
When we advocate for adult education, we tell lots of stories. We show how adult education has changed the lives of our students. We talk about what adult education means to families. We share personal stories about how adult education has impacted our communities.
Timely and accurate data woven into our stories provides context for personal narratives and provides legislators with talking points to support our mission. The Educate & Elevate campaign is all about data. The campaign was developed specifically to give adult educators tools to show legislators how adult education is an investment in America.
Check out the complete toolkit for more ways to harness the power of data to tell your story.
Tell Our Story to a New Generation
- A campaign video to use on your social media channels and state and local websites.
- A Campaign Fact Sheet you can send, take to meetings with reporters or use to create posts on your social media channels.
- Educate & Elevate Twitter and Facebook accounts that you can engage with and mine for post ideas to share on your own channels.
Educate & Elevate Campaign: Your Ticket to Supporting Adult Education Funding
Adult education — you know it’s your passion. So share your passion through our national campaign, Educate & Elevate, and join the system of 55,000 adult educators in informing elected officials about the importance of funding adult education.
Here are our three campaign goals:
- Create processes for a concerted, collective effort to reach local, state, and federal officials and our communities.
- Inform and educate officials about the relevancy of adult education through data, stories, innovations, and key message points.
- Make specific requests in support of funding adult education.
How can you, as one adult educator, make a difference to achieve these goals? Our plug-and-play Campaign Toolkit gives you many ways to garner recognition for your local adult education brand while advancing our collective mission to secure funding.
Check out these helpful links to get started:
- Register for the Learning Forum and review past webinars and materials.
- Get the Campaign Toolkit for strategies to build your local brand.
Have a question or need help? Post it in the Learning Forum and get technical assistance.
Get Students, Colleagues, Family & Friends Involved
- Share this link with your friends, family, and colleagues to send a ready-made support email to state and federal elected officials. The template automatically finds the right contact based on the zip code submitted.
- Share this link with your adult learners/students to send a ready-made support email template to their state and federal elected officials. Students can add their stories, sharing how adult education made a difference in their lives. This template also automatically finds the right contact based on the zip code submitted.
- Complete and print copies of this editable postcard to bring to class, and have students sign and mail to your local, state and federal officials.